Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Top 5 Reasons to Love a Cruise


As a travel professional, I understand not everyone is going to love a cruise. But, the majority of those that experience just one go again and again and again. Now, I am not trying to sway the die hard “I like my feet in the sand” or “I’d rather experience one destination” travelers out there (I love helping those as well), but for those who might be curious as to what the top aspects of a cruise are, here are mine:
#5: I like the lull of the rhythm of the sea. I will tell you that the first night out, I do take over the counter medicine to alleviate any motion that my brain tells me is not natural, but after that, I enjoy the slight motion. It becomes relaxing and feeds that basic need to feel connected to nature in a way that a car or airplane can’t manage. And, I find the best sleep ever with the cradle-like rocking.
#4: I love the “shippy” stuff. Unlike a land-based resort, cruise ship sailing has not changed much in nearly 50 years in some nostalgic ways that I enjoy. From the ships distinctive horn to the chipper cruise directors, I’m reminded of watching Love Boat every week as a young girl. Also, it’s nice to see officers in full uniform and activities like Bingo and contests by the pool you just can’t experience elsewhere. Lastly, the sound of the wind whipping across the open decks and the excitement of leaning over the railings to watch the water are simply exhilarating.
#3: I know the whole family will have fun. My daughters’ first experience on a ship at 8 years old is still so memorable to us. The dining room staff and cabin attendant treated her like a princess and she just LOVED the fun kids programs. Recently, as a teen, she enjoyed “hanging” out with other teens to do teen things all day: dance, contests, games, pizza parties, etc. My husband enjoys uninterrupted naps and not having a “honey-do” list. For myself, a good book by the pool or a walk around the social decks to see what activities are going on is pure pleasure.
#2: I appreciate the comforts in a safe environment. I love the walk up the gangway and exploring the ship to get my bearings and walking the corridors to find my cabin, which will be my “home” for a week or more. I know the cabin attendant will take care of any room needs and I am only stairs or an elevator away from spa, gym, restaurants, activities, and the sea. The safety onboard a ship gives me peace of mind, which is what I value in a vacation.
#1: I can turn off reality and enjoy. Being on a ship allows me to turn down the volume of a busy life, turnoff the cell phone, take off the watch and clear my brain. Someone else is cooking, cleaning, driving and making my bed. I get to go to various destinations without worrying about the details. I can enjoy room service (at no additional cost) people watch, snack all day, or just whatever……
Thank you for reading this article on my favorite reasons to cruise. My clients share their favorite items they enjoyed on their journeys and it makes my career choice that much more rewarding each and every time I listen to their adventure stories. Don’t Just Dream It, Do It!!!
Debby Stevens
512-218-0291

No comments:

Post a Comment